Search By Chance Bawarchi

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cereal Stuffer

So eating healthy isn't always tasty. Whole grain and whole wheat taste especially nasty to me; no one can convince me they don't taste like cardboard. But it really is better for you.

I can't bring myself to switch over completely, so I found a compromise.

Until recently I wasn't a big cereal person. I stuck to Special K Chocolate cereal, probably because of the sweetness of flakes and the deception of the fake chocolate. Then I switched to Honey Nut Cheerios (or Honey Nut Spins, the Walmart brand, for the price difference) and became addicted.

The guilt kept nagging me until I gave in and also bought a box of Toasted Whole Grain Oat, the healthier brother of the Honey Nut Spins. Considering my aversion to whole grain, I decided to trick myself. Here's how I have my cereal now:

1 part whole grain cheerios
2 parts honey nut cheerios
1 banana
1 - 1.5 cups 1% milk

Chopping a banana into my cereal ensures at least 1 serving of fruit in my day. You can also thrown in your favorite nuts like almonds or walnuts; both are excellent for your health. Beyond that, if you're brave enough to experiment, you can try things like raisins, dried cranberries or some other fruit instead of bananas. But for me, the above formula works just fine.

This breakfast (or lunch, or dinner, or snack) fills me up and keeps me going till the next meal. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare, so it's definitely on my top-10, go-to meals list.

No comments:

Post a Comment